Sunday, February 5, 2012

1/30 - 2/3 CS373 Blog Post

Good afternoon, everybody!

Another week, another blog post.  Like always, lectures have been rigorous but very interesting.  It's seriously amazing how much you can learn just by looking at small snippets of code and dissecting every meaning of every part of the syntax.  It's almost as if, when beginning to learn the art of programming, that you take some things for granted.  That, or they were just never talked about in great detail in the introductory classes.  It makes me want to re-evaluate everything that I've learned and assure myself that I am understanding every part of a given programming language.

It's been interesting taking a look at Haskell code.  The format is so different from other languages I've encountered!  It is always cool to look at new programming languages and to see how they are similar and different.  In the end though, they all have the ability to perform the most common tasks, and that in itself is pretty cool.

The Collatz project was actually a lot of fun to program.  I had an enjoyable time attempting to optimize it as much as I can in order to get the speed of the program down to a minimum.  It was good that I had finished the program early so I could tweak it as much as possible.  I also wrote down an awfully lengthy wiki on it unintentionally.  I just wanted to keep my information as detailed as possible so that someday (in the future) if I ever looked back at it, I could understand all that I did over again.  Although, a mishap did occur when submitting the project.  It seems like when I zipped up all of my files, I forgot to do a recursive zip, so my HTML files didn't get submitted! For starting early and finishing early, it was definitely a crucial hit to my grade (already 20 points off).  I'm the only one to be blamed, though: I had checked all of my files after submitting, but I had assumed that the files existed within my subdirectories in the zip file when checking.  Lesson learned: check everything for my own sanity.

Next week's project seems really interesting.  Determining dependencies and listing them out seems like it'll be a pretty thoughtful project.  I'll need to brush up on my knowledge of priority queues and binary heaps; it seems like that will be the data structure that will be used to solve this problem.  Honestly, I can't recall ever learning about priority queues and binary heaps in CS315 (CS314 now, I suppose), but I have used priority queues in the past.  Anyone else learn about those data structures elsewhere?

Until next time,

Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment