Saturday, March 24, 2012

3/19 - 3/23 CS373 Blog Post

Good evening all!

What a busy week it has been! Dealing with the project and then preparing for an exam shortly thereafter was not a very fun turn-around.  But the week is over, and I guess that might as well be the only good to have come out of this week!

This past week, my team and I worked our butts off on project 4: World Crises, Phase 1.  This website is a collection of crises, people, and organizations that all will eventually be aggregated through the use of a Google App Engine (GAE).  For this phase of the project, all we had to do was to collect data on our items and display them in static pages.  While we were working on this, we were also supposed to get the back-end side to be able to import XML files given an XML schema, and to be able to export data stuffed into the datastore into an XML format.  The static pages and collecting data weren't very difficult; our importer and exporter took some time to develop, though.  We learned that such scripts are very nit-picky and like to take things in at a certain order.  When we successfully figured out what order we wanted things in, we had to make our exporter export the material in the same pattern.  It was more of a nuisance than anything, but we have things working!  Things are linked in the datastore to prevent duplicates via a many-to-many relationship.  This basically means that certain items may share a certain attribute one or more times.  It eliminates redundant information that is duplicated, because no one wants that, you know?  Anyway, the project seems to be not too bad, and our team is pretty awesome right now.  I have pretty positive vibes with everyone and we gel pretty well! It's gonna be really promising when we complete this project.

As far as the test was concerned, it was a bit difficult for me.  I thought I knew the material fairly well, but there was some questions I wasn't prepared for.  As Downing had mentioned in class about being prepared for the programming questions, I hadn't really prepared for them, so I suffered from that aspect of the exam.  I also didn't do as well as I had hoped on the multiple choice aspect.  My Z score for the exam is still positive, but I felt like I could have done a lot better job.  But, things like that happen and sometimes you don't always do the best all the time.  So for the next exam, I'll try to compensate for my low grade!

I'm really wondering what's in store for the next part of the project.  My thoughts are that we are going to make one Python page that regulates what will be displayed depending on what the user wants to view.  We'll also probably incorporate the linking between the GAE datastore and the website to allow for other pieces of data to be displayed on the website.

Well that's it for now, I need to catch up on sleep.

Until next time,

Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment